Electromagnetic Field 2026
EMF was great.
Everyone has a different EMF, and arguably a very different EMF. This makes it almost impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't been. This time there were lasers and LEDs and robotic things, and also embroidery and a plant swap and a planetarium. I didn't go to any scheduled talks or workshops and I took hardly any photos. I chatted to lots of very diverse people, went to and organised some meetups, danced, wrangled with (and a few times solved) puzzles, volunteered, and wandered around admiring the art.
Many folks (including but not limited to the astonishingly hard working orga) talk about how they were too busy creating/sharing/helping to actually do or see anything. And there were so many things to see or do - thanks to everyone who made or convened or performed things. The field never quite feels like there are really 3,500 people there, but they are around, somewhere, having totally different combinations of experiences. All curious people, as EMFcamp.org says :) It's amazing what volunteers can create.
It wasn't just the Society for Hopeful Technologists meetup on Sunday afternoon that felt hopeful - it was many conversations with people who are seeing opportunities for tech to be better. Seeing how today's technologies can be bring so much joy and fun. Seeing so many creative, motivated and altruistic people doing things together and finding space to grow and thrive.
![]() |
| Greenhouse |
![]() |
| Versions of now |
![]() |
| Sanctuary for retired computer mice |
![]() |
| Bs |
![]() |
| Not the Instarinse cup cleaning machine that got hacked, but a different one. Cups seemed to have a great time being steamed and spun and illuminated. |
![]() |
| Otter Plotter Bot, recording where he's been on an Etch-a-Sketch |
![]() |
| We cracked the David Lynch numbers station! Go team! |
![]() |
Baygoose tapestry - epic work by yomimono |
![]() |
| Synthercisers. Big thanks to zool and discontinuity for the chiptune dancing sesh (sample) |
I didn't take photos of lasers, but many others did :)
Random things I mentioned to people:
- new Plural Stack paper (I liked p15 especially)
- ClimateAction.tech
- the Festival of Maintenance archive
.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)


.jpg)
