Green gadgets?

A lot of companies are bringing out green gadgetry of all kinds at the moment. I often feel it's a little strange to be buying yet another gizmo to try to help combat climate change, but anti-consumerism isn't flavour of the month in the UK yet. Energy metering seems to be the latest thing; and I do wonder if in fact loans are the way to go for these bits of kit, as HICCA (Histon and Impington Climate Change Action) are offering. Most people aren't going to keep an eye on an energy meter every day or week, however pretty it is, and even if they do, I wonder how effective mild personal guilt is at changing ingrained comfortable behaviour patterns. However power-hungry you tell me my washing machine is, I'm still going to wash clothes; yes, on the lowest temperature setting, and the shortest wash, still using a lot of power, but you aren't going to get me bashing clothes in a sink full of water any time soon. I might turn off lights, put a jumper on and turn down the heating, but I don't need an energy meter to help me do that - I already know what the right behaviours are, I just need to get my act together and feel motivated. Nonetheless, the odd week with a meter to help me check there's nothing wasting power in the background could be helpful, but I'm not sure that having one full time will really reduce my power. (I speak as someone on to my second meter, which is all very well, but I know I don't really do much differently after the first few days of excitement about the new gadget. If anything, my energy usage in those few days goes up, as I test out each electrical device in our home to see how much power it's using!)

We'll see how the range of energy meters work out in the mass market over the next 18 months or so. I'm particularly interested to know how the manufacturers of these devices will find evidence of their gadgets reducing energy consumption, especially at a time when energy costs are due to soar, which is a driver for new behaviour at least as much as an LCD screen flashing scary messages at you is.

If you are going to buy something to try to be greener, it's worth considering keeping it simple. Michael and I each bought BodyFliks a few months ago. These are nifty plastic curves, which you use to remove water after showering. Since you are then much drier when you hit your towel, the towel doesn't get as wet, so needs less drying out, and the bathroom needs less airing and heating. They work well, come in a range of bright colours, and get a definite recommendation from us. Designed by a woman inventor, too!